Yesterday afternoon I had one of the most meaningful cultural interactions I've had since being here. I was sitting reading yesterday on campus in a lounge area, and there were some women and a toddler sitting near me. Naturally, this little girl--small enough not to be able to speak yet--was interested in me. I'm a point of interest for most young Koreans because they've tended to have very little interaction with foreigners.
She wasn't afraid of me though, which is somewhat strange. I've been teaching a kindergarten class since I started here, and I'm just now getting to the point where the kids are comfortable with me and grasping the idea that there are people in the world who don't speak Korean. When I started the class, some of these 5 and 6 year olds were nervous around me simply because I look so different and tried to communicate with them using some crazy language.
But this little girl yesterday wasn't afraid. She kept coming up to my table and smiling at me, and then running back along the step to her mom. She continued running back and forth for about 15 minutes, so I just returned to my reading. As I was reading, though, I noticed that she had crept up next to me. I set my book down, and realized that she was offering me a piece of candy from her tiny little hand. I smiled, said thank you (in Korean), and opened my wrapper.
She took a couple of steps back, and opened her own piece of candy. Then she held out her wrapper, and I held out mine. We put the candy in our mouths at the same time, and she smiled at me. Then she held out her wrapper again, seemingly amazed by the connection between us.
After two solid months of being watched constantly, and of my differences from Koreans being what stand out, I was blessed by this little girl who felt interest instead of fear. And who realized that people of every nation, tribe, and tongue sure like the taste of candy.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Cute story.
I can't believe you have an assistant...it sounds almost like having a servant.
Post a Comment