Sunday, November 16, 2008

Speech Contest

This past Saturday, the English Professors at Kosin were judges in a high school speech contest that Kosin was hosting (part of the larger scheme to seduce prospective students into coming to Kosin). Our responsibilities fell into two areas: judging the speeches, and providing the sing-along entertainment portion of the night.

I judged about 70 speeches that day, and at least 70% of them were Martin Luther King Jr's "I Have a Dream" speech. There were stretches where I was listening to the same exerpt from the same speech for a ten person stretch. My personal favorite was the girl who delivered the speech with her best attempt at a Southern drawl mimicing King's. I can't say it mixed terribly well with her Korean accent, but I've got to give her credit for trying.

For the sing-along portion, we wowed the crowd with Sunday school classics like "Pharoah, Pharoah" and "Father Abraham". The crowd loved "Father Abraham", so we ended up singing it at least four or five times.

Speaking of wowing crowds, Andy and I are in charge of creating some sort of Christmas Eve English skit/song time for our church. Neither of us are sure what's expected of us, but if anyone has experience creating Christmas programs, let me know.

1 comment:

S & S said...

I know. The lips truly are amazing. Did you know they never, ever lie flat? It's like Angelina Jolie inhabits my socks.

Can you videotape your Christmas performance? I'm looking forward to the possibilities...