Sunday, September 21, 2008

Kosin Festiver

Thursday was the 62nd Anniversary for Kosin, so in celebration we had a chapel celebrating donors and a festival. Posters proclaiming the "Kosin Festiver" were up all week, classes were canceled in the afternoon, and our students were setting up booths of foods and activities.

Walking through the festival, we were pulled around by our students and suckered into buying way too much food. It was a lot of fun, though, and led to this conversation with a friend from the Philippines:
Student: "I don't think Koreans celebrate enough. For our school's anniversary, we celebrated for a week. One day isn't nearly enough. What did Dordt do for it's anniversaries?"
Me: "We didn't celebrate. We just had more chapels."

Anyway, nightime brought the much-anticipated arrival of MC Mong, a famous Korean rapper. I didn't know that Korean rappers existed, but Kosin likes to surprise me. Emily and I tried to bring some enthusiasm and dance along, but we found that Koreans don't tend to dance, so we danced by ourselves. Friday in class I had a number of students tell me that they heard I was dancing at the festival...word spreads quickly.


And here I am enjoying the Festival with my student Samantha, Biscuit, and Emily.

No comments: