So, after more than a month back home, I'm still looking for a job (and fervently not appreciating Michigan's crummy economy). I've had a couple of interviews, and tomorrow I have a second interview. But get this: my first interview there was 1.5 hours long; I interviewed with two managers and the owner, learned a new software program, and wrote a sample business letter. When I was called for the second interview, the hiring manager told me that this one would be 3 HOURS long so that I could "do more projects and meet some more of the staff." I had no idea that I should meet with more people after the owner.
It's pretty frustrating though--I called one woman twice this week in an attempt to volunteer at the refugee program she runs, and she still hasn't gotten back to me. And I didn't even want a job from her.
I'm getting frustrated reading the news now that I'm back in the states instead of Egypt. The other dayU.S. troops "accidentally killed nine Iraqi civilians," and it just got a blurb in our paper. I doubt that if another nation accidentally killed nine Americans, there'd be decidedly more news about it. It just seems to fall in line with the unsaid assumption I've encountered a lot that Arab life is cheap; my host sister Hea voiced this concern a lot--that it didn't seem like the international community cared terribly much whether or not she or other Arabs died. And I've got to say, the whole accidental killing of these Iraqis shows that she's got a point.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment