Wednesday, December 5, 2007

One More Week

Well, in one short week I will be leaving Egypt and heading back to the good ol' US of A. I think that I am excited. I miss Christmastime, tap water, and clean air. But, man, do I love Cairo. Juliana and I took a walk tonight, over the Nile, across Zamalek, and back across to Agouza. It was wonderful to pass the shops and take in the interesting sites of Cairo--men in gallabeyas bicycling, a random herd of sheep in the middle of the road, and the groups of men smoking the fabulous-smelling shisha. We once again almost died as we crossed the Corniche, and we got to take in the beauty of the lights of Cairo being reflected on the Nile.

It was good to walk around and de-stress because ever since we've returned from travel I've been BUSY. I just handed in another 37 pages of essays 4 days ago, and in two days we have our final essays due. Today I went to the library and wrote an 11 page paper; tomorrow I must return and write an essay solving the Arab-Israeli conflict. My flatmates and I tried to hash out the problems tonight, and it was frustrating since some of these things are so un-fixable.

On Friday I get to visit Heba though, so that's incentive to get things done. I'm trying to fit in all of my last minute Egypt things before we leave, and it's getting full.

We've had a ram outside of our flat tied behind a neighbor's back door. It was making noise all of the time--the noise sounded like a mix between a fog horn and an unhappy child. Though he was annoying, we were growing fond of him. And then yesterday a man slaughtered the ram and left the skins outside. And I realized how very interesting it is to be in Cairo.

I hope you enjoyed my attempt at an anecdote.

Linda

No comments: