Monday, March 1, 2010

The New Semester

My new semester has begun at Kosin. I have been looking forward to getting back in the groove of teaching and spending time with students. Walking around campus today I had to reacclimate myself to life as a foreign professor. Some things are grand, some not so grand.

Almost everyone I pass wants to say hi to me. I'm happy to comply with either a peppy "hi" or "안녕하세요", but I tend to tire of the fact that most of these students start to laugh to their friends when I respond. Speaking to a foreigner is seemingly always a giggle-inducing show of brazenness or bravery or something. It's also hard to get used to the bows.

On the other hand, the first day is the best because all of my friends return to campus. I love the surprise of seeing friends in the hallway or in my classroom. I'm missing my friends who have graduated, since they are the faces I associate most with Kosin, but I'm also excited for the potential friendships with new students.

I'm excited for the days ahead, and a bit nervous about some of the challenges. One thing I like about living on the academic calendar is that times for reflection are built in with all of the endings and new beginnings. As I start this new semester I am praying for opportunities to love, serve, laugh, and learn. It will be interesting to see what's ahead.

No comments: