Wednesday, September 2, 2009

The First Day of School

This Monday was Kosin's first day of school for the year--and goodness gracious, was my experience different this year. Last year, I was exhausted, terrified, and utterly overwhelmed. I went to classes, and couldn't read my students' Korean names; I went to lunch, and could barely hold chopsticks; shoot, I had never even taught a class before.

This year, I had to leave early for classes so that I had time to greet all of the students that I passed in the hallways. I know people's names and faces this year, I can read their Korean names and pronounce them pretty darn well too. I am proud to say that I have been complimented on my chopsticks skills by a number of Koreans. I still consider myself a newbie teacher, but at least I've seen the textbooks before!

Mostly the thrill of my first day had nothing to do with my increased competency here, though--it had everything to do with the relationships I have with my students and friends. And it's because of the people here that I am stoked to be teaching at Kosin for another year.

1 comment:

Watch out world!- Jessi Rieken said...

Yay Linda! You are going to be a great teacher this year! I am definitly praying for you! Love you!