Sunday, October 21, 2007

Back in Town and Ready for Homestays

Well, I'm back in Cairo and ready to finish off this leg of the semester. I love returning to Agouza after these shorter trips, because it feels so much like coming home. And tonight Egypt is about to get homier because I'm heading out to stay with my Muslim Egyptian family for the week. My homestay is with...Heba and her husband Ahmed!!! I'm pretty excited that I'm going to be living with the only Egyptian that I knew of before coming on MESP, and the assignment was completely random. Yay! Although I'm still pretty apprehensive. Today in our extra-long (3 hour) Arabic class I learned how to say "I am full," "The food is excellent, but I cannot eat more," and "May I go to bed, please?" These should come in handy, although Heba speaks English fluently. I still want to be able to have to use some Arabic.

I had a good time on the cruise. The boat was pretty small, and the rest of it was filled with 50 or 60 year old Czechs who were overly fond of speedos. We played Abu Bakr (our Muslim version of Marco Polo) in the pool, procrastinated on the feared Gelvin paper, and watched most of Season 3 of The Office. We also got to see a lot of ancient temples and such. We went to the Valley of the Kings and saw the tombs of the Pharoahs, visited Karnak, and saw the ancient temples of the Egyptians. One of the wonderful things about Egypt is that, unlike America which guards its 200 year old historical artifacts, you can touch and see stuff that is 3,000 years old. I also got to climb things when the guards weren't looking. :)

November 1 we leave for Turkey, and I'm closely following the tense situation between the US and Turkey as well as Turkey and Kurdish rebels. It's definitely never too early to pray for peace. Top put your minds at rest, Dr. Dave is as worrisome as any mother, and would never put us in danger. He keeps refusing our claims that Lebanon would make a good stop.

I continue to think of you all at Dordt and in Michigan, and pray that you are doing well. Well, tonight should be an adventure, and for now I'm looking forward to the unknown.

Ma'a Salaama,

Linda

2 comments:

Sarah said...

You're staying with HEBA!?!? WHOA! That is so cool! Emily will be thrilled.
And I will definitely be praying for your safety...because I already do... And I should email you soon. Okay. love you muchly!

Anonymous said...

you get to stay with Heba and Ahmed! Yay. It will be a little different staying with Heba and Ahmed and not the whole Housni family....although I take that back if Heba and Ahmed are living in the same building as planned- you will see the whole family alot! Good times.
Also, if you take a certain path to Heba's house you see the pyramids...so Cool. JEALOUS!
Oh I miss you, how about instead of DC you, sarah, and myself move to Cairo! Sounds like a plan.
I hope you are able to go to Turkey. Man, first lebennon, now Turkey -what will be left of travel component? Although Israel was probably my favorite.

Linda- I will write you a more detailed email soon.
LOve you.