Wednesday, September 5, 2007

One Week Down

All right, first things first: Happy 23rd Birthday Becky!!!

I have now been in Cairo for a week, although it seems like a whole lot longer. I'm hoping that the guys on the streets in Agouza still don't shout "Welcome to Cairo" in November just because I'm white. In fact, I'm getting very comfortable navigating the streets and using my relatively small reserve of Arabic words.

Yesterday was our first day of service projects (we go every Tuesday), and I finnagled my way into getting to go to two instead of just the one we're supposed to do. In the mornings I go to the Sisters of Charity in Garbage City where I work with babies in the orphanage, disabled children, and elderly women. I had a wonderful time there, and was predominantly hanging out with the babies. During the day when I walked into the nursery to come help, I found my fellow-MESPer Josh all alone with 13 babies; about half of them were crying, so I scooped up a couple of them and we ended up having a grand time with all of the beautiful babies.

In the evening I go to teach English to African (Mostly Sudanese) refugees at All Saints Church. I was more ambivalent about this one, but I had a great time. I have two classes of an hour and a half each, with about 15 students in each. It was so fun to help people with a language I know since I'm struggling to communicate with most people on the street. I'm hoping to get to the point teaching them where I can hear about all of their experiences that have brought them to Egypt since many of them are from Darfur. My Tuesdays are going to be really, really busy now, but I am so happy that I get to have such unique experiences.

Our first official day of classes after orientation week began today, so it was nice to get into a routine, and this weekend we're going to Alexandria, which should be grand. I'll keep you posted as my adventures continue.

Love,
Linda

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Linda, Sister's of Charity will change your perspective drastically. I never taught taught english but I heard a lot of great things about that program as well. Oh and if you get a chance to go to a church service at All Saints Cathedral I highly recommend it.
I am so glad you are having a wonderful time. I am thrilled for you. And if you don't mind I plan to live my semester againg through you : )

Give Dayna a hug a hug and (because your in Egypt and it's acceptable) a kiss : )

Miss you.
em

Unknown said...

Hi, Linda:
Aunt Judy and I send warm Michigan greetings. We'll look forward to keeping up with your semester of discovery and amazing adventure on this blog.
Love,
Uncle Bruce

Anonymous said...

Thanks Lin,

Sounds like you're keeping busy. I hope you are enjoying all your classes.

Love you,
Becky