Saturday, September 1, 2007

I LOVE Cairo

Hello again!

The past two days have been so exciting and fun for me, and very, very full. Yesterday we went to visit a mosque in the morning and then went for dinner on a boat down the Nile and down to the markets for our one shisha experience and a taste of Cairo at night. Egyptians here sleep in, but the streets come alive at night with lights, vendors, crowds, and excitement. I absolutely love Cairo--I love the people everywhere, the fresh fruit on the streets, and the energy.

Today has been great too. We had "Fein he?" or "Where is?" which was a sort of scavenger hunt around my neighborhood, Aqouza. My partner Dan and I had a great time wandering around and getting acquainted. We tried kosheri, crossed the Cornish (which makes Guatemalan traffic look structured and tame), I talked to every woman I could on the street, and bought a wonderfully tasty pomegranate. I am so excited to meet some people beyond the streets. It's frustrating being ignored by most people since I'm a woman, but it makes it so wonderful to get smiles and a "SabaH innoor" from the Egyptian women.

For Emily, I'm on the fifth floor flat, which is really six stories and a ridiculous amount of stairs up, and I miss you scratching my head too.

I pray that you all are doing well, and if you're a Dordt prson, let me know how your year is beginning!

Ma' a salaama,
Linda

1 comment:

Justin said...

Enjoy Cairo! You'll grow to love it even more. I miss it, but henna kwayis too. Korea is a good time.