Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Life in Cairo

Okay, I tried to upload some of my pictures onto my blog, but it doesn't seem to be working with the scant internet connection we get in our flat, so my apologies for that.

A couple of days ago--it's getting difficult to remember--our MESP crew headed out to see the esteemed Pyramids at Giza and had a wonderful time. This is the stereotypical sight to see in Cairo, but rightfully so. It was so strange to see something that I've heard of since elementary school, but never actually thought I'd get to see myself.

I rode a camel for about five minutes, but it was really more of a photo op than anything else. The coolest thing, though, was riding horses in the desert around the pyramids. Only about 10 of us went on the horses, largely because the horses aren't particularly reliable and compliant. In fact, I had to sign a serious injury/death waiver before they let us ride. But that is why I tell you these things, my dear family, after the fact, because I had an amazing time. 4 other MESPers fell off and one hurt her shoulder a bit, but I came out unscathed, mostly at least--I am pretty sore. My horse was quite keen on trotting constantly though, and eventually my backback came unzipped from all of the jostling, and I lost my stellar trail mix and Jeremy and Nick's souveniers. Bummer, but not so bad considering I at least stayed atop the horse.

I also got the best offer in a marriage proposal yet there. I (or rather Heath who was with me) was offered 20 million horses to make one guy a nice Egyptian wife. Heath kindly refused to sell me off. It was nice to be able to speak a bit of Arabic and feel a little bit less touristy than all of the other tourists; I've learned to use "emshi" liberally when necessary (it means get away from me). Saying "respect yourself" is the other popular one here, but it's considerably longer and inshi does the job all right.

Yesterday we went to Al-Ahzar, which is one of the oldest universities and one of the most esteemed Islamic institutions in the world, to break the fast with some of the students there. Yes, Ramadan is in full swing here in the Muslim world, and it's been fascinating to see how much the streets are transformed. Many of the streets are decorated, much like the Christmas decorations of the US; many of the restaurants are closed for the day, so it can be tough to find food; but most eerily, some of the busiest streets in our neighborhood are pretty much emptied when everyone is inside breaking fast. It kind of feels like a Muslim rapture when you go outside and find the streets abandoned.

I'm leaving on Thursday to go to Mount Sinai and then to the Red Sea, which is one of the little trips that I have been anticipating the most. To answer some of the other questions I've gotten, I am currently taking Arabic, Islamic Thought and Practice, and Conflict and Change. I only stay with my host family for a week, and because of Ramadan, that's happening the third week in October. Also, I have been doing very well in finding food to eat and enjoy. Kareema is the cook for MESP, and she does a remarkable job. Otherwise, I'm enjoying pomegranetes, mangos, and the myriad of other fresh fruits you can find on the streets. I shouldn't forget to mention my groups obsession with aish (Egyptian subsidized bread) and Nutella. Yes, I fit right in. Finally, Dayna has been wonderful about cuddling with me and even scratching my head on occassion. Good stuff. One girl, Rachel, even asks me to quote a poem for her each day. Not a bad situation at all. Sorry about the chaotic nature of that paragraph, I'm just trying to cover all of the questions.

Linda

1 comment:

Sarah said...

WHAT?!??! You know someone who ASKS for poems? Wow...that is good!

20 million horses?? Dude! You are totally going to marry an Egyptian! And you turned him down??