Thursday, September 27, 2007

Fun with Nuns

Greetings again!

So, Tuesday I went to the orphanage again, and when we got there the Sisters informed us that we were going on an "outing". We had no idea where we were going, but they had the babies all decked out in cheap golden jewelry and all dressed to the nines. We got in a tour bus, which seemed really out of place in Garbage City, and went off for a ride (praying that the Cairo traffic didn't hit us, since we were all gripping a baby or two, with no one secured in their seat).
We ended up going to a beautiful park on the outskirts of Cairo to have a picnic. It was a bit strange because all of the kids are 2 and under, so they didn't play much, but it was fantastic for them to feel the grass and be out of the orphanage.

It was so surprising though, because we saw a whole new side of the Sisters while we were there. After a while, the nuns and a few of the Egyptian girls started to pick up some of the baby toys like balls and blocks and throw them at eachother. Soon, they began to chuck them at us too. I was feeding a baby, when a sister, in full blue and white robes, threw a ball that would've hit the baby's head if I hadn't blocked it. It was hilarious to see this sort of silliness that would seem out of place in a nun. We spent the next couple of hours eating Ramadan pastries with them, throwing toys at eachother, and playing freeze tag. These are definitely pictures of the Middle East that don't make it in the news.

It was really sad to hear some of the news that we got from the sisters though. One of my favorite girls, Veronica, whose picture I posted earlier, died on Monday. Apparently she had some sort of heart condition that we didn't know about. Her mom didn't tell them about it when she left her at the orphanage, and it got really bad, but could have been controlled with medication. It's so hard to see such a beautiful and spunky kid lost because of miserable circumstances. There's definitely a tension between hopelessness and instances of beauty here in Egypt.

Today was my MESPer friend Katelyn's birthday, so we went out to dinner at Chilis, which is in a boat on the Nile, and had a grand time. Afterward we had a dance party in the living room, which was grand and a good way to continue that dance parties of last year. And I couldn't forget that tomorrow is Sarah's birthday. So happy birthday, my love.

Both tomorrow and Saturday are free days, and pretty much our last free days for the rest of the summer. I really ought to work on all of the essays I have due, but we can all be honest and not hold our breath on that one. I continue to think of all of you back home and pray that you are doing well.

And the girls are playing the Hairspray soundtrack, and thanks to my sisters I feel compelled to go and sing along. So off I go.

No comments: