That's what one of my students said as he handed this to me at the start of his speaking test today.
One of the curious cultural differences between America and Korea is the nature of gift-giving. Here in Korea, people are constantly giving small gifts--bringing dessert when visiting someone's home, churches handing out toothbrushes and soaps on special Sundays, and students giving their teachers coffee or juice as a thank you or apology. Just last week a student gave me a can of orange juice to apologize for being sleepy in class the previous day.
When I first came to Korea, I was always shocked by students giving me things. I've learned a bit more now, and recognize that much of it stems from Korea's roots in a Confucian-based culture where it is important to honor the older person, or the one in a higher position.
I like to have conversations with my students where we critique both of our cultures from a biblical perspective. Generally, I don't want to feel pressured to buy me stuff, yet I realized that I have totally adapted to this culture. When I think about living in America again, it doesn't seem right to visit someone's office without a gift in hand. And during this midterm week, I can't pretend I'm not happy to score some chocolate.
No comments:
Post a Comment