I am starting to get the hang of things around here. I've done introductory classes for all of my classes, and taught full lessons for two of them. My first class was very small and not keen on responding to my questions. Class ran a little short, and was generally awkward. My second class was fun and responsive, and I didn't even have time to get through my whole lesson.
Things that are hard to get used to in Korea:
1. The food: Emily and I have never enjoyed PB and J so much.
2. Having students bow to me as I pass them in the hallway.
3. Remembering that culturally, I shouldn't cross my legs when I sit, put my hands in my pockets, or look at students in the eyes for long when I speak to them.
4. The students' choices for English names. Thankfully, we don't have to attempt their Korean names in class, but some of them sure have interesting choices. I have a Snout (I talked him out of Snot), a Soul, Brown, and Joker. Sometimes they let me pick their names, which I enjoy immensely. I've named a Brian, Mark, Cristina, and Nick. Jeremy and Becky are pending. I am going to begin teaching a kindergarten class next week, and I'm planning on naming them after the Jon and Kate Plus 8 kids. For me, naming people is a perk in this job.
It's good to find the perks where they can be found.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Oh! I'm so glad your faithful with your posting! It's so good to hear from you...Snot? Haha...was the kid about 10 yrs old? PB & J...nothing is better. Don't forget to eat your protein! Otherwise shove back those iron pills! :)
Post a Comment